Monday, September 19, 2011

1001 hummingfish dreaming the same dream

that particular position
lying foetally on your side
face into a breast
her arm around your neck
as though gathering in an infant

has some difficult attachments

it is easier and more expansive
to do the reverse

I should challenge myself more
should always lie like this
with my inflatable doll

it's a lifelike thing
cost me £500 from a sex shop

three realistic orifices
real hair
it's almost like being in love

love, anyway, is only that hill of beans
looming over a town in Interzone

a man with a gun kicking the door open
when the writer loses the plot

or a hand on a stomach during sleep
that makes the sleeper flinch
then sigh
and descend into dreams of pigeons
suddenly released
each carrying a message
to a distant home

he was big and blonde like a football coach
250 pounds at least
brought down a little by the liquor
his face was jumping
I didn't much want to get squashed
we are closed, I said
keeping the desk between me and him

most hummingbirds don't make it over the Gulf of Mexico
when there are gales
imagine that sea full of drowning little birds
thousands at a time
humming as they die
the sea reaching up, pulling them in
large predatory fish gathering
pop pop pop
humming there in your fishbelly
a hand stroking across
there in the sinking
oh yeah
never wanted to get where I was going with that anyway

these are the strange origins of flying fish

may I now live for another day, O great Caliph?

.



No comments: